All Calories are not the same
The calories in an avocado and the calories in a piece of cake is not exactly the same, even though they may contain the same amount of energy. The calories in the cake will cause your blood sugar to spike quickly and not provide much in the form of nutrition. The calories in the avocado will not cause a blood sugar spike and contains a lot of nutritional elements that your healthy body needs.
If your chosen diet is high in processed carbs or sugar (examples: cake, bread, pasta) your blood sugar will frequently spike. It also means that your calorie totals would consist mostly of empty or non nutritive calories. It will be more difficult to consume fewer calories when you feel like you are starving or have cravings.
You already know that if you eat fewer calories than your body burns, you will lose weight. But you should also be aware of what you eat at all times to make your weight loss easier and more healthy!
Calorie counting does not always work so well for all people as cravings and hunger pains triggers over eating
You should evaluate the food in your chosen diet to ensure that your diet balances your blood sugar levels. Sharp spikes in the level of sugar in your blood, upwards and downwards, causes cravings and hunger pains, making it very difficult for you to consume fewer calories than your body will burn. 
Eat more of these foods:
Fruits, Berries, Nuts, Grains, Beans, Leafy Greens, Tomatoes, Avocados, Cucumbers, Vegetables (Broccoli etc), Eggs, Dairy, Fish, Seafood, Pickles, Sauerkraut (and other fermented foods (soy) kefir, tempe), Non sweetened Yogurt, Beetroot,
Eat less of these:
Cakes, Baked Goods, Anything Sugar, Sweets, Bread, Processed foods, All Refined Carbs, Soft Drinks, Anything Sweetened
- Have higher GI snack foods at the ready, like carrots, celery and other crunchy treats (like dried spiced pumpkin seeds)
- Use more spices and less salt
- Fewer Smoothies! – Do not blend your food blending breaks down and reduces the amounts of natural fibers in your food
- Eat balanced meals, correct portions, sleep well, stress less and do moderate exercise (take the dog for a walk!)
- Put effort into meal preparation: Stream, boil and bake – Make every meal a social event
- Get enough sleep, sunlight and reduce your stress – Visualize you and your goals: get your mind in the game!
- Pay attention when doing shopping, if you do not have it at home you cannot eat it easily
- Make your very own mantra book, examples: smiles are infectious, No rain – no rainbows, a change is like a holiday, Sharing is caring, Living is about giving, and many more!
- Have a glass of red wine or a cup of cocoa every once in a while!
All information provided for information & education purposes only. Nothing published on https://dietmy.com is intended as substitution for medical advice, diagnosis, or for any treatment.